OVERPOWER YOUR SHADOW SELF TO
SET POSITIVE INTENTIONS
Have you ever been in the process of changing your life for the better? Whether it be a new habit, way of thinking, lifestyle, image or career and as much as you set the best of intentions, something overshadows your efforts and you’re pulled right back to where you didn’t want to be?
Believe it or not, but that shadow is the shadow of your past habits, thoughts and beliefs that are still following you around and blocking your positive intentions and business success.
The Definition of Shadow:
In the Webster’s Dictionary, the definition of a shadow is: A dark shape that appears on a surface when someone or something moves between the surface and a source of light. An area of darkness created when a source of light if blocked
When we get a spark of inspiration to change and move forward towards better things, we follow our own source of light to keep us moving forward on our path. However, that source of light can be darkened when reminders of our past creep up. In my case, I was given an amazing opportunity to help grow a start up company and I felt primed and ready to step into this role.
After a week or two on the job, the shadow of my past crept up behind me whispering “silly, little girl”, “you’re the dumb one”, “their going to be disappointed you!” As those whispers were darkening my surroundings, I actually began to feel like a dumb, silly little girl!
How to Overpower Your Shadow Self:
- Listen to and acknowledge your shadow. Despite what you have heard about positive thinking, ignoring your shadow is the worse thing to do.
- Remember that this is the shadow of your past still following you and it’s not who you are today.
- Acknowledge that it may seem strong and a bit overpowering at first, but you can CHOOSE to be stronger by your shadow.
- Know that having a shadow following you around is NORMAL, EVERYONE experiences this and you’re not a weird loser, who should know better by now.
Put some light on your shadow
- Dress like a successful, powerful woman for a while until you can feel powerful on your own.
- Take some scary risks, such as taking a weekend trip doing something you’ve always want to do, but you’ve been afraid to do.
Do something everyday that makes you feel proud of yourself, then say out loud “I’m so friggin proud of myself!”
- Ground yourself daily by imaging roots growing from your feet into the ground and then imagine yourself being surrounded by white light of power and protection.
By doing these steps your shadow will get weaker as you get stronger!