HOW TO ADD LUXURY TO YOUR LIFE
Article by Amber Podratz
Photo Credit: Sajas Minrah
Magazine: Issue #34
How to Add Luxury To Your Life
We all deserve a little luxury in our lives regardless of our income level. That’s why we’ve put together a list of three simple steps that you can take to create your own luxurious life.
STEP 1 :: DEFINE WHAT LUXURY MEANS TO YOU
Everyone has a different idea of luxury for some it’s a designer handbag, or maybe it’s being able to take the time for a dream vacation, or for others it’s being able to treat themselves to spa treatments. Why is it important to define your own idea of luxury? Well, for the simple reason that this is your life and you should state your preferences and own what works for you. Once you get honest with yourself you can stop buying into someone else's idea of luxury and work on attaining what you want. It takes the pressure off to compete and gives you the satisfaction of achieving your goals. For example, if you are not clear with your definition luxury it’s very easy to fall into the trap of feeling competitive or not enough because maybe you are not quite able to get that Louis Vuitton bag yet. However, if you are clear of your own meaning of luxury, and say it’s spa treatments, then wouldn’t you know it, when you get that facial you will get more satisfaction out of it than you would by getting an expensive bag. It's because it’s your goal, your preference, and you are owning your life! How exciting and freeing.
STEP 2 :: START WITH SMALL UPGRADES
For me luxury means quality craftsmanship, beautiful aesthetics, and life upgrades. There came a point in my life where I decided I deserved some luxe and committed to making small upgrades throughout my life. For example, I got sick of putting up with a cheap flat iron that kept breaking and then I kept replacing. So I spent an extra $50 and bought myself a nice Chi flatiron. It might seem silly or insignificant but you know what I was doing when I bought a better flatiron? I was changing my mindset to what I deserved and that I could achieve my goals. I elevated my mindset and started attracting better things in life. Plus, 5 years later I still have the flatiron and it works like a champ.
STEP 3 :: FOCUS ON ONE AREA OF YOUR LIFE AT A TIME
Day-to-day life is busy enough, no need to overwhelm yourself with trying to do too much at one time. This is all about adding little luxuries to your life, not more stress. So let’s start with one area at a time! Start with making a list of where you would like to add luxe to, get creative! Here are some ideas to get you started:
• Get regular manis/pedis.
• Treat yourself to monthly spa treatments. • Upgrade your skin care products.
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
• Take yoga sessions from a superstar instructor. • Take a walk outside at lunchtime.
• Invest in a therapist.
• Indulge with a set of high-thread count sheets.
• Hang up a beautiful poster that speaks to you.
• Send a handwritten note, just because.
• Have a cleaning service come once a month.
• Buy flowers for the house every once and awhile.
• Invest in a perfect pair of jeans.
• Buy quality over quality. Are those 5 shirts at $9.99 each a really good deal if they loose their shape and shrink
after one wash?
• Choose an investment accessory.
• Get that bag that will last forever.
• Stop eating fast food and treat yourself to a nice lunch at a cute café.
• Stock your pantry with sparkling water.
• Indulge in some fancy chocolates from Belgium.
• Shop at a higher-end, boutique grocery store for a few specialty items you can’t get at chain grocers.
RELATIONSHIP WITH SELF AND OTHERS
• Show more gratitude.
• Tell someone you are proud to be in their life.
• Treat your friends to coffee for no reason.
• Surround yourself with positive people that inspire and lift you up. • Treat yourself the way you would your best friend.
• Love yourself.